Did you know lilies are toxic to cats?

Did you know lilies are toxic to cats?

Lilies are poisonous to cats and can be very dangerous.

As any cat owner will tell you, our feline friends are inquisitive creatures and can’t resist investigating the world around them, but accidentally ingesting the wrong bit of vegetation can have dire consequences.

Lilies are a big ‘no-no’ for feline-friendly homes and gardens. Just one lily leaf, if eaten, can kill your cat – but all parts of the plant are dangerous, including the pollen and flower.

Simply brushing by the plant, then grooming the pollen off his coat, can prove lethal to a cat. Take care to avoid the Easter Lily (Lilium Longiflorum), the Tiger Lily (Lilium Tigrinum), the Rubrum Lily (Lilium Speciosum), the Stargazer Lily (Lilium Orientalis), the Japanese Show Lily (Lilium Lancifolium), Asiatic Lilies and species of the Day Lily (Hemerocalis). However, it is wise to be cautious with all types of lilies if you’re a cat owner.

How do I know if my cat has been poisoned by a lily?

The first symptoms likely to occur after your cat has ingested lily are depression, lack of appetite and sometimes vomiting. If untreated, they will quickly go downhill, becoming dehydrated and suffering from diarrhoea, breathing difficulties and bad breath. Acute renal failure is the likely eventual result – if they don’t receive medical treatment within hours, the likelihood is death.

If you think your cat has ingested any part of a lily, take them to your vet as soon as possible.

Further information – Click Here to download information sheet