Let’s Get down to Kitty Business!
How to Setup, Maintain, and Position Your Cat Litter Tray.
One of the many joys of owning a cat are the daily routine of cleaning their litter tray, if done incorrectly you will be left with an unpleasant odour. The unhygienic residue can affect your cat’s health and your cat may start to refuse the designated zone.
The CATMATE Cat Litter Tray is designed to make this process simple. Combined with CATMATE wood pellet litter and the following tips you have the ‘purfect’ eco-friendly solution for your cat’s needs.
The CATMATE Cat Litter tray is made up of two parts a sieve and base. Once CATMATE litter is wet, it breaks down into smaller particles, which then falls through into the bottom tray when shaken once or twice a day
To Set up the CATMATE litter system
- Put 1 to 2 hands full of CATMATE litter in the bottom tray under the sieve.
- After you have put a layer of 2cm of litter in the top of the sieve, the tray is ready to use.
- Frequently shake the tray. This allows particles that have absorbed the odour causing liquid to fall through the sieve and into the base.
- Scoop out the solids daily or as frequently as required
- Clean out all the wet litter from the base
- Move a couple of scoops of litter from the top of the sieve to the base
- Add a couple of scoops of fresh litter to the top of the sieve. This process means that the litter will be regularly “renewed” with fresh litter.
- Every 2 weeks clean the whole tray and sieve or more frequently if required.
- Use CATMATE Litter Tray Deodoriser or a non-citrus based equivalent and replace with fresh CATMATE litter.
Location. Location. Location.
It’s important to find a location that provides privacy and security for your cat to feel comfortable, a misplaced litter tray can lead to your cat taking its business elsewhere. When choosing a litter tray location consider the following toileting needs:
- Cats like to keep what goes in and what comes out pretty separate, so place the litter tray away from their food and water.
- Like humans, Cat’s love their privacy when going to the toilet. Position the tray in a private location away from prying eyes.
- Find a nice quiet location so they can relax and let it all out. Avoid placing near loud appliances such as washing machines.
Did you know you can compost cat litter?
The most environmentally way to dispose of the debris is by composting the leftover cat litter. Doing so reduces the amount of waste sent to landfills and creates rich organic material to add to your garden.
Click here to learn how.